Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cooking For Real

I'm going to cook something.

Right now.

No, really I am. And you, lucky reader, get to follow me through the entire process. Aren't you excited?

I've taken stock of my ingredients. Broccoli, jerusalem artichokes, red lentils, millet, sweet brown rice, leftover pesto, 1 brown rice tortilla, 2 yams, some yellow onions, and some garlic.

For a change of pace, I'm going to endeavor to use an actual recipe so the final product is something I actually want to eat.

Let me just dust off these cookbooks...

There we go. Now to find the perfect recipe that works with what I have on hand.

I'm pretty hungry though. While I leaf through this book, let me get out some granola to snack on. Ok, where was I.

Here's a recipe for Italian-style Sauteed Broccoli. I'm Italian (4th generation, but who's counting?) I could probably pull that off. Great! What should I have with that? My people would probably make some pasta but I don't really eat pasta. How about some millet? With the leftover pesto....that could be interesting. Let's do it!

Ok first step. Let's get that millet going. I like to toast my millet before cooking it so let's do that. I'm putting one cup of millet into my stainless steel pot on medium heat. While I'm stirring that with one hand. I'm going to chop up my head of broccoli into "small florets".
And in go the 2 cups of water for the millet along with a pinch of salt. I've covered that pot and am now waiting for the water to...and it's boiling! Be right back.

My broccoli has been floretted and is now steaming for about 2 minutes. And the 2 minutes is up! Just a second, please. Alright the millet is now simmering on a low heat. That will be going on for about 20 minutes so I have time to take a breather...oops, the broccoli! Ow! That steamer basket is hot!

Alright this is far too complicated. I'll catch you up on the rest in the next blog...

Still cooking,
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment