Saturday, April 11, 2009

Stepping Up to the Plate


Thanks for visiting The Hungry Nutritionist!

This blog is for all those people out there who know what they need to do to be healthier but aren’t actually doing it. It’s for the doctor that won’t quit smoking, for the Phys Ed teacher who hasn’t gone running since she was in middle school. What makes me qualified to write such a blog you might ask. Well you see, I’m the nutritionist who doesn’t feed herself balanced meals.

It’s not that I don’t eat my vegetables or that I fill up on “junk” food. I simply don’t take the time to practice what I preach. I spend my time studying and speaking about the benefits of sitting down and mindfully eating a meal composed of seasonal and local fruits and vegetables accompanied by a hearty whole grain and legume. Yet, I’ve been known to prepare myself a hurried dinner of oatmeal partnered with broiled asparagus that I scarf down while standing in the kitchen waiting for the grain to cook.

I extol the economic benefits of bulk, dry beans…but I’ve never prepared a chickpea that wasn’t canned or frozen.

I talk at length about the need for farm to school programs…but my hands have never tilled the soil or planted a single seed.

This is all about to change. At the end of this I’ll be able to speak about the importance of nutrition not just from a book, but from experience. My endeavor to change the American food system one plate at a time starts now...with my own. Who knows? Maybe one of you will be inspired to contribute to your own health in a way you haven't been brave enough to try.

I hope you’ll come back and visit again to follow my progress and weigh in on the issues. In the meantime, do as I say not as I do.

Peace,
Jenna

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous concept-- you did such a good job being specific! I had a hard time narrowing my focus enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a hypocritical nutritionist (and hungry) so I look forward to hearing what you have to say, Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your honesty, and am smiling as I can most definitely relate to it! I'm looking forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely relate to preaching without practicing; I think most people experience that at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete