Sunday, April 12, 2009

Traditions

One of the biggest challenges I’ve encountered when trying to change my own eating habits as well as when motivating others to change theirs is tradition. Whether cultural or religious, so many of our traditions revolve around food.

For instance, if I were in Pennsylvania right now celebrating Easter with my family I’d be presented with a plate of ground sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast. We’d then munch on a delicacy called Easter Pie that is essentially a very dense quiche with some combination of the following: ricotta, Parmesan, ham, pepperoni, pasta, salami, eggs, and sausage. Rounding off the day would be an evening of some crackers, bread, cheese, and still more ham.

Now if you’re relying on the Italian-American food pyramid you’ve hit all the major food groups: MEAT, CHEESE, and BREAD. From the perspective of a whole grain loving, vegetable chomping vegan…you’re in the third circle of Hell.

You could sit there all grouchy and judgmental, but there are better options:
Like bringing something for everyone to share that meets your preferences and their tastes!

Last year I provided an “Easter Pie” of my own made with tofu, fresh spinach and tomatoes, a little nutritional yeast and lots of fresh basil (Italians love anything with basil in it).
Did everyone try it? No. But a few did and, if nothing else, it kept me from being a hungry, irritable daughter/cousin/niece on that day. I hope too, it showed that I’m not denying the importance of sharing a meal together with my family even if our dietary choices are different.

After all, the love of family should be what brings you to the table not just the food, right?

Peace,
Jenna

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya-- a long time ago I just started assuming that if I didn't bring food to family functions I would starve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, if we can change just one unhealthy tradition that a family has then we can make an impact that will last for generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I managed to get most of my extended family to eat braised kale on Christmas. Some of them even asked for a recipe.

    ReplyDelete